Skip to main content
Registration for Fee-Based Degree & Graduate Certificate Students

Payment Procedures 

As a student in a fee-based degree or graduate certificate program managed by UW Continuum College/UW Professional & Continuing Education (UWPCE), you can pay your course and other fees online using the MyUW portal or by mail. 

Visit the Student Fiscal Services website to view payment deadlines and late fees. Payment must be received by the deadline to avoid late charges. See the UW Academic Calendar for your year of study for all dates and deadlines.

Remember, before paying, you'll need to register for your courses. For details, visit the How to Register page.

Note: All emails about registration and payments will be sent to your UW email address.

Step 1: Review Payment Options

You may pay your course and program fees using one or more of the following payment options.

Electronic Check

An electronic check is an online payment method that uses the routing and account numbers of your checking or savings account. There is no fee to pay by electronic check.

Before attempting to pay by electronic check, you should verify that your bank allows this payment method. Depending on the bank, processing time can take up to 10 days. Before submitting your payment, double-check your routing and account numbers, the type of account and the payment amount. An electronic check can’t be canceled once it’s processed, and there’s a $25 fee for any declined charge. You may also be charged a late fee if the declined charge results in your payment being past due.

Banks can return payments for many reasons, including:

  • Lack of sufficient funds
  • Use of an incorrect or invalid bank routing or account number
  • The account type is misidentified
  • The account has been closed or frozen
  • The account is a non-transaction account
  • The name on the bank account does not match
  • The bank does not participate in automated clearing house (ACH) transactions

Credit Card

You may use a credit or debit card when paying online. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. There is a nonrefundable service fee of 2.75% (minimum $3) when paying by credit card.

Bank Check or Money Order

You can mail or deliver a bank check or money order to the UW Continuum College/UWPCE Registration Services office.

Checks must be in U.S. funds and drawn from a U.S. bank. There is a $25 service charge for returned checks.

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Any financial aid or scholarship funds you receive will be applied directly to your account balance beginning one week before the quarter begins and continuing up until the payment deadline (the third Friday of the quarter), as long as you've registered for the required number of credits.

Here are a few additional things to keep in mind:

  • If your aid does not cover the entire balance due, or if you register for courses after the disbursement date, you’ll need to pay the balance using a credit card or other method.
  • If the amount of your aid is greater than the charges on your account, the difference will be sent to you via direct deposit or a check mailed to your local address on file.
  • Some scholarship funds can be used only to pay course fees and any overage cannot be disbursed to the student. Contact your scholarship’s funding office to ask about disbursement conditions.
  • If you've accepted federal student loans, funds will only be available after you sign all corresponding promissory notes.
  • Funds will not be disbursed to any student with financial holds on their account.

For more information, see the Fee-Based Programs page on the UW Student Financial Aid website.

Private Loans

Private loan funds must be certified by the UW Office of Student Financial Aid before they can be applied to your account. To ensure that your loan was certified, email UWPCE Registration Services at with your full name and UW student number.

If the amount of your loan is greater than the charges on your account, the difference will be sent to you via direct deposit or as a check mailed to your local address on file.

Teaching & Research Assistants

If you’re a teaching or research assistant, you may be eligible to have your UW department pay for some of your program costs.

If your department will be covering part of your program costs, be sure they email a budget authorization to UWPCE Registration Services at before the third Friday of the quarter. Any costs not covered by the department are your responsibility.

Veterans Education Benefits

If you're a current or former service member, or a military dependent, you may be able to use VA benefits to pay program costs. Contact the UW Veterans Education Benefits Office for more information regarding the process.

If you'll be using VA benefits, contact UWPCE Registration Services at prior to the third Friday of the quarter to make sure all needed authorizations are in place.

Third-Party Payments

If your employer or another party (other than a family member) has agreed to pay UW fees on your behalf, this is a third-party payment. However, if your employer requires you to pay your UW fees and then apply for reimbursement, the employer is not considered a third-party payer.

To pay via third-party, you or the payer must send a purchase order, letter of authorization to bill and/or any other required paperwork from the third party to UWPCE Registration Services at before the third Friday of the quarter.

We'll invoice the third party directly for payment. Any amount not covered by the third-party payment is your responsibility.

Note: If your employer requires evidence of program expenses before your statement is available on MyUW, contact UWPCE Registration Services for a copy of your transaction summary.

Wire Payments

If you're an international student, you may also pay using a wire transfer via your bank or a service called Flywire.

To pay by bank wire transfer:

  • Contact UWPCE Registration Services at to get bank and routing number information.
  • Include your full name and UW student number in the wire transfer to ensure it's credited to your account.
  • Include any wire transfer and bank fees in the amount of your payment so the total will cover your full balance.

To pay using Flywire:

  1. Go to the company’s international payment portal for the University of Washington.
  2. Click Start Your Payment for UW Professional & Continuing Education (PCE).

Step 2: Review Your Account Statement

If you’re paying for all or part your program with loans, scholarships or any other funding sources besides a credit card, go to MyUW to access your account statement and verify that all expected funding has been applied to your balance.

Your account statement will not be available to view until shortly before the start of the quarter. For the exact dates of availability by quarter, go to the UW Academic Calendar, locate the calendar for your year of study and then see the Tuition/Fee Assessment Deadlines section of that calendar.

To access your account statement:

1. Go to MyUW and log in with your UW NetID and password.

2. In the Accounts section, under Tuition & Fees, you’ll see two balances, which must be paid separately.

  • The Student Fiscal Services amount due includes fees such as U-PASS and ISHIP. To pay your balance, click the Make payment button. For help, see the UW Student Fiscal Services website.
  • The PCE-Continuum College amount due includes fees such as course and technology fees. To pay your balance, click the Make payment button. See below for step-by-step instructions.

3. If you have submitted an application for federal financial aid, click Financial Aid Status to review the status of your application.
MyUW Accounts screen

Step 3: Make a Payment to PCE-Continuum College

Follow the steps below to pay online with a credit card. To pay in person, by phone or by mail, contact UWPCE Registration Services.

On MyUW, next to the amount due for PCE-Continuum College, click Make payment to go to the UWPCE Payment Portal. The portal displays a summary of all paid and unpaid statements. Any statement that has not been paid in full will be listed as unpaid.

1. If you have an unpaid statement, click the Details button to view the statement.
statements screen

2. At the bottom of the detailed statement, verify or edit the payment amount and then click the Pay button.
pay button screenshot

  • You may make multiple payments for less than the balance due by editing the payment amount before clicking Pay (this may be useful if your credit card has a limit on large transactions).
  • You may not pay more than the balance due.
  • We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

3. On the Billing Information screen, complete all required fields, then click Continue to Payment Method.

4. Enter your credit card information, then click Pay to submit payment. 

5. To confirm your balance has been paid in full, check your statement. Note that it may take up to 24 hours to reflect your payment.

Contact Us

Questions about registration or payment? We're here to help.

UW Continuum College/UWPCE Registration Services

Physical address: 4311 11th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105
Mailing address: PO Box 45010, Seattle, WA 98145-0010
Phone: 206-543-2310
Office Hours: Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
Phone Hours: Monday–Thursday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.; Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.